The Promises to those who recite the Holy Rosary
October is the month dedicated to the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary and today is Rosary Sunday. Therefore, the 11.15am Mass will be a Votive Mass of Our Lady of the Rosary. The Rosary is probably the most recognisable Catholic devotion, and it is one of our most powerful spiritual weapons – the weapon as Padre Pio said. Our Lady appeared to St Dominic and Blessed Alan de la Roche sometime in the 13th century and told them to promote the Rosary and she made 15 promises to those who say it daily:
- To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.
- Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive signal graces.
- The Rosary will be a very powerful armour against Hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin, and dispel heresy.
- The Rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
- Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
- Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly, reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.
- Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the Sacraments of the Church.
- Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.
- I will deliver promptly from Purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.
- True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in Heaven.
- What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.
- To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.
- I have obtained from my Son that all the members of the Rosary Confraternity shall have as their intercessors, in life and in death, the entire celestial court.
- Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of JESUS Christ.
- Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.
So these promises show us how invaluable the Rosary is in our spiritual warfare, because those who say it devoutly receive additional graces that those who don’t say it don’t get. Blessed Pope Pius IX said, “Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world.” This is how powerful the Rosary is. Many battles have been won against all the odds by thousands saying the Rosary, most famously the Battle of Lepanto on 7th October 1571, as a result of which Christian civilization was saved. The anniversary of this victory eventually became the feast of Our Lady of the Rosary. In more recent times the deliverance of Austria, Brazil and Portugal from communist regimes has been brought about by millions saying the Rosary. Our Lady of Fatima announced herself at her final appearance as the Lady of the Rosary and said at every apparition, “Pray the Rosary daily.”
What more do we need? The recitation of the Rosary can change the course of our lives and of the world. Try with all your might, if you don’t already do so, to make great use of this heavenly weapon, beginning now in this month of October.
Fr Paul Gillham, IC